Thursday, January 12, 2012

Accidentally Good

I won't speak for everyone because I know this can be an unsettling subject. If a self-analysis of your ethics makes you squeamish--fair warning--go back to Facebook, Reddit, or the refrigerator.

How I spend my time, the kind of friends I make, what experiences attract my attention, and how I relate to the world are all pretty good indicators of what kind of person I am. And since I happen to believe my mode of using my life is important, it is only logical that I would want to continually evaluate whether or not I am using this life well. Because of this and because of a recent contemplation of philosophical ethics, I am ready to make the bold claim that most of my altruism has been accidental.

When it comes to ethical philosophy--what you believe is right or wrong--there are two-and-a-half positions. First, there is ethical egoism, in which someone's moral compass tells them it's best to act in their own self-interest. Second, there is ethical altruism, in which someone's moral compass tells them it's best to act in the interests of others above their own. And second-and-a-halfly, there is ethical utilitarianism, which is the moral inclination toward the good of everyone by which someone treats others the same as themselves. This last position is really a balance of the first two, however it appears at first glance to be the ethical manifestation of the famous Golden Rule (do unto others...) that Christians are always harping on about.

But do we actually practice the Golden Rule? Or are we lying to ourselves. (Matthew 5-7)

I'm in seminary right now, preparing for full-time ministry. I have every reason to convince the people around me I'm a golden superstar who eats saltines while serving filet mignon to the homeless (or Gardenburgers if they're vegetarian). Is it weird that it's in my best interest for everyone to think I'm an altruist? Yep, I think so too. So here's a confession: I'm not a good altruist. I spend a little time volunteering and I've supported public broadcasting. I try to tip well and always be polite to everyone I meet. But I've spent much more time shopping online for wristwatches and iProducts than volunteering anywhere or supporting any causes--period. Simply put, my actions speak louder to my interest in saving money on an horological accessory than any significant altruistic commitment to people. In fact, most of the times I've wound up helping someone was the result of being somewhere by coincidence or repaying a favor to a friend. My charitable acts of kindness and altruism were accidental. (Mark 10)

In point of fact, I am an egoist. I don't spend my time thinking about other people nearly as much as a true altruist or utilitarian would. I'm not saying that in itself is a good or not, but to judge myself by my action it is clear that somewhere inside I am deeply swayed to the egoist opinion, and active interest for others is like the wind and the wave on the thin surface of the ocean. It's important to come to terms with this reality if I'd like to stand any chance of changing it. (James 1)

I'm tired of being accidentally good. Like diving into the ocean, I'm trying to figure out how deep I must go to bring the light of charity to the deepest places of my soul. And someday, maybe, I will open my depths to the Spirit of God who blows patiently across my surface. (Genesis 1)

Now let me get out of the way and Jesus will have the last word.

The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! (Matthew 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment